Lawrenceville Sports Injury Treatment
Explore Regenerative Medicine with Royal Blue Medical Center
Sports and exercise are great for your body and our long-term health. Nevertheless, accidents happen, and these activities can lead to painful injuries. Many of these injuries can be treated at home with PRICE therapy and over-the-counter painkillers, but you will need to consider other treatment options if the pain refuses to go away.
One such option is regenerative medicine, which can speed up your recovery without drugs or surgery. At Royal Blue Medical Center, we can use your own cells to help you through a painful sports injury.
To take advantage of your body’s healing powers, call us at (770) 766-4609 today.
Common Sports Injuries
When you play sports, injuries can develop over time (chronic) or occur all at once (acute). If you play tennis every day, for example, you might develop tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis), but if you fall during a sporting event, you might immediately strain or sprain a ligament, muscle, or tendon.
The most common sports injuries include:
- Sprains – injured ligaments
- Strains – injured muscles or tendons
- Tendinitis – inflammation of a tendon
- Fasciitis – inflammation of the fibrous tissue that covers many muscles and tendons
- Bursitis – inflammation of bursae (small, fluid-filled sacks that cushion the tendons, muscles, joints, and bones)
- Arthritis – inflammation of the joint
- Synovitis – inflammation of the membrane that surrounds the joint
- Dislocations – bone/joint misalignment
- Fractures – disruptions in the continuity and integrity of a bone (cracks or breaks)
- Contusions – bruises
- Muscle cramps and spasms – strong, painful muscle contractions
- Lacerations and abrasions – cuts and scrapes
While all the injuries above are unpleasant, some are more serious than others. Your treatment will depend on the severity of your injuries, many of which will go away with simple, at-home care.
If you are injured during a sporting event or feel pain during regular exercise, trust your instincts. Many injuries can heal on their own if you use PRICE therapy at home for 2 or 3 days. PRICE stands for:
- Protection – protect the affected area from further injury (stop doing the activity that hurt you)
- Rest – give the affected area a break (wear a sling or use crutches to keep weight off the injury)
- Ice – apply an ice pack to your injury for 15-20 minutes every few hours to reduce swelling
- Compression – bandage or wrap your injury to limit swelling
- Elevation – keep the affected area above your heart whenever possible
During PRICE therapy, you can also use painkillers like aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol), or naproxen (Aleve) and anti-inflammatory ointments. Remember to follow the directions on the bottle carefully and never depend on these drugs for long-term use. Prolonged use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs), in particular, can cause complications.
If your injury does not improve after a few days of PRICE therapy, you should see a doctor. You should also explore all of your treatment options.
Don’t forget regenerative medicine – Royal Blue Medical Center can help you learn more!
How Regenerative Medicine Is Used for Sports Injuries
Sometimes, injured tissue will not heal on its own. When this is the case, many doctors recommend traditional treatments like surgery. While these treatments have worked for years, patients have not always had the options they have today. Additionally, surgeries create a great deal of fear in patients and are high-risk procedures that can cause countless complications.
Instead of taking a gamble with your body, you can use your body’s natural healing properties to help you recover. Regenerative medicine allows you to replace or restore your cells, tissues, and organs by using powerful cells that are already inside of you.
At Royal Blue Medical Center, we use non-surgical techniques to direct your body’s healing capabilities to the areas that need them most. By injecting your own, concentrated cells directly into the site of your injury, we give you the power to rebuild your body, naturally. Our injections simply speed up a process that would have happened anyways, allowing you to heal properly before complications arise.
Most patients start feeling relief within a few weeks and our treatments can help you recover permanently or be renewed as needed (usually on a yearly basis).
Who Has Used Regenerative Therapy for Sports Injuries?
Regenerative medicine has been used by many prominent sports figures as a means of overcoming potentially career-ending injuries.
- In 2008, Tiger Woods famously received PRP therapy in order to recover from knee surgery.
- In 2011, NFL quarterback Peyton Manning received regenerative treatment therapy after two surgeries failed to aid with the pain from a bulging disc in his neck.
- In 2012, MLB pitcher Bartolo Colon underwent regenerative treatment therapy to help repair a torn rotator cuff and ligament damage.
- In 2014, tennis legend Rafael Nadal received regenerative treatment therapy to relieve back pain.
These are just a handful of the many athletes who have turned to regenerative medicine for injuries that ordinarily would have kept them away from competing for months. Instead, they experienced quicker recovery times and were able to return to their successful athletic careers. Athletes of all ages and skill levels can benefit from regenerative treatments and therapies.
What are you waiting for? Get started today with the skilled medical professionals at Royal Blue Medical Center!
How to Contact Us
To consult with our knowledgeable staff and get a customized treatment plan, call Royal Blue Medical Center at (770) 766-4609 today.
You can also contact us online or schedule an appointment at our Lawrenceville office.
We look forward to helping you live a pain-free life and heal from your sports injury without drugs or surgery!